Gates Millennium Scholarships
Students are eligible to be considered for a GMS scholarship if they:
- Are African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American or Hispanic American,
Are a citizen/legal permanent resident or national of the United States,
- Have attained a cumulative GPA of 3.3 on a 4.00 scale (unweighted) at the time of nomination,
- Will be entering a U.S. accredited college or university as full-time, degree seeking freshmen in the Fall of 2005,
- Have demonstrated leadership abilities through participation in community service, extracurricular or other activities, and
- Meet the Federal Pell Grant eligibility criteria.
Presidential Freedom Scholarships
Each high school in the country may select up to two students – juniors or seniors – to receive a $1,000 scholarship in recognition of outstanding leadership in service to their community. With funds appropriated by Congress, the Corporation for National and Community Service provides $500 for each scholarship, which must be matched with $500 secured by the participating school from the community.